5" Class 52

Well this has been the complete rebuild, detailing and generally the 'making a cracking model' out of what started as a standard Phoenix Class 52 Western.

The plan was to push beyond the normal 5" scale diesels out there, and equip her with everything that it was reasonable to go for.  She's now complete with radio control, correct sound, smoke and suitable weathering, as well as fully detailed cabs, including controllable cab lighting.  There are numerous extra details that have been scratch built and added to the exterior of the loco, and the lights of course work too, being fully directional.  As do the number boards (forgive my steam loco ignorance as to their correct name!)

Here are a few pics of how we got her, a few scuffs and scrapes, but overall the Phoenix locos are a very good basis for adding lots of extra detailing to make her more of a scale, real looking, model.

So the first thing to do was to start on the strip back phase, ready to apply the extra detailing.  With these diesels being mainly fiberglass it is in fact just a case of using the same modelling techniques we so often use on small scale models. The trick is to look for those details that are particular to the loco at hand.  We chose Western Firebrand for a couple of reasons.  Firstly we needed a prototype that had worn the Maroon with full yellow ends livery, and worn it long enough to get properly mucky!  (as we decided early on that was the livery we fancied).  Secondly Western Firebrand had the extra air vent box on the ends that gave it a nice little added dimension from a detailing point of view.  Lastly, and most importantly,.... it's just a cool name!

The cab details were also tweaked to make them more prototypical. Adding all the dial detail really does make a tangible difference, and has been well worth the effort and time.


well she's out of the paintshop and starting to get more details ....

Cab now completed for both ends including lights ...

installing the various electronics, 4QD VTX 75, with DMR-203 remote control interface. MTroniks sound unit. Servo relays to activate sounds / functions
final layout, the DIN connection allows removal of the body which is wired for lights and roof fans
Foggy mister "smoke" unit, vapourises tap water using piezo transducer, so very little power is used and it's free to run
running lights and cab lights on..

And then the weathering begins!

Plus a couple of beautiful photographs courtesy of our good friend Mike Topham (Michael Topham Photography)

......and a little clip of her in action!  Missing the brake rodding and speedo, but essentially done!  Price to be established shortly,..... but she will be for sale,..... after we've finished playing!

Very nearly there now.  We've just finished adding the break gear detail to the bogies, and another proper film will go up here shortly.  She's fully sorted, tested and now has a brand new set of batteries to boot.  

For any more information, please don't hesitate to give us a bell on 07816 963463

Sorry it's sold!  But we can make you another if you like.

I'm InterestedI'm Interested
cross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram